The Palace Museum
Established in 1925, the Palace Museum was installed in the imperial palace of two consecutive dynasties – the Ming (1368-1644) and the Qing (1644-1911). It is one of the most prestigious museums in China and the world at large.
From Ancient Beijing city’s planing and design, to completion of forbidden city,the function of gate; hall;palace;architecture feature;symbol;historical event;Anecdotes; together with history of ming and qing dynasty, will open you big window of new world.
other than architecture, you can understand every Chinese name’s potential meanings, every palace’s significance, which are emperor’s masterwork;the time of palace open or close,the behind story of treasure(check the video)…….
As culture treasure, it take time to visit instead of rapid tour.
• Chinese Name:北京故宫 紫禁城
• Chinese ADD:北京市东城区景山前街4号
• Chinese OPENING TIME:4.1-10.31：08:20-17:00（16:00停止售票）；11.1-3.31：08:30-16:30（15:30停止售票；每周一闭馆）Attention !
• TICKETS:60 cny/High Season(April 1st – October 31st) 40cny/(November 1st – March 31st:)
• 建筑面积Architecture Area:约15万平方米km^2
• 占地面积Ocuppy Area:约72万平方米km^2
• Time of Project implement:1421年（明永乐十九年）
• Official Website:https://en.dpm.org.cn/
• Online Tickets Booking Official Website:https://gugong.228.com.cn
The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty—the years 1420 to 1912. It is in the center of Beijing, China, and now houses the Palace Museum. It served as the home of emperors and their households as well as the ceremonial and political center of the Chinese government for almost 500 years.
Constructed from 1406 to 1420, the complex consists of 980 buildings and covers 72 ha (over 180 acres). The palace complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture, and has influenced cultural and architectural developments in East Asia and elsewhere. The Forbidden City was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987, and is listed by UNESCO as the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world.
Since 1925 the Forbidden City has been under the charge of the Palace Museum, whose extensive collection of artwork and artifacts were built upon the imperial collections of the Ming and Qing dynasties. Part of the museum’s former collection is now in the National Palace Museum in Taipei. Both museums descend from the same institution but were split after the Chinese Civil War. With over 14.6 million visitors in 2015, the Palace Museum is the most visited art museum in the world….more info
How to get to beijing The Palace Museum
from downdown to Imperial Palace, expense is about 50-100 rmb
practical chinese for taxi driver
Bus: Take No. 1, No. 2, No. 52, No. 59, No. 82, No. 99, No. 120, No. 126, No. 1 and No. 2, get off at Tiananmen East Station and walk about 900 meters to the gate.
transfer to line 1, get off at 天安门东
beijing metro map
beijing forbidden city Travel Tips
- Each ticket is RMB 60 (excluding the Treasure Hall and Watch House珍宝馆、钟表馆), the ticket for the Treasure Hall is RMB 10 per ticket, and the ticket for the Watch Museum is RMB 10 per ticket.
- The ticket sales and opening hours are 8:30. Except for statutory holidays and summer holidays (July 1 to August 31 of each year), the Palace Museum implements the measures of closing all day on Monday.
- From the Tiananmen Gate, or from Donghuamen or Xihuamen along the east and west side of the river, you can reach the gate. Entering the Forbidden City can only enter from the Wumen (South Gate)午门, and Shenwumen (North Gate)神武门 can’t get in.
- The Forbidden City only issues 80,000 tickets a day, so be sure to leave early, preferably in advance.
- Must bring an ID card or passport, because it need swiping ID card or check the verification of passport. without it,you can not go into.
- Focus on the palace on the central axis, many palaces can only be seen outside the door.
- Regarding the distribution of the restrooms, the security check at the Wumen Gate 午门 is completed. There are toilets on both sides of the front and the front of the Taihe Gate太和门. (There are not many people on weekdays.) There are also toilets at the entrance to the Sixth and Sixth Palaces. There are treasure shops and watchhouses on the East Road. There is also a lounge area in the restaurant and washroom, and there is also a washroom in the Imperial Garden..
- the best position for panorama of palace museum is jingshan park,after your exit from shenwu gate, you will see
beijing The Palace Museum travel guide
- If the baggage is too heavy, you can choose to save the bag. The checked baggage can be transported free of charge between Wumen (South Gate)午门 and Shenwumen (North Gate)神武门.
- You can also choose to take it with you after you have received a security check.
- The working time of the depository office is 8:30-18:00, and the location is at the east side of the Wumen and Shenwumen.
- Note: The storage is only for the storage of the suitcase, as if the large shoulders are not given.
Deposit: $100 per unit.
Rent: Chinese version, Cantonese version of each 20 yuan. Other languages are 40 yuan each. After the visit, please hand over the voice interpreter to the explanation service before leaving .
Service location: Wumen 午门and Shenwumen 神武门.
2. Interpreter explanation service
5 people or less: 250 yuan for the whole journey, plus 1 for each additional 5 people plus 50 yuan. The explanations are all clearly marked, so don’t worry about spending more.
Service Station Location: Wumen, Shenwumen
3. Volunteers free to explain
Chinese and English are only available in the exhibition halls such as the Treasure Hall and the Watch Museum.
2. Broadcasting Room
Search for people, lost and found, precautions for visits, notice of closure time, and introduction of scenic spots. Both Chinese and English are available.
Location: Southwest of Jingyunmen
3. Visitors’ Consultation Center
Consultation Tel: 010-85007422 (Arrow Pavilion)箭亭, 85074421 (Taihe Gate)太和门
Location: Taihe Gate, Arrow Pavilion.太和门、箭亭
4. Police Station
Phone: 010-85007494, 85007495, 010-65131882
beijing forbidden city tourist map
ChengDu WestChinaGo Travel Servicewww.WestChinaGo.com