BeiJing Tian’AnMen Square
- Chinese name： 北京天安门广场
- Foreign name: Tian’anmen Square
- Location: Chang’an Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing (between Tiananmen and Zhengyangmen)
- Opening hours: All year round 5:00-22:00
- Area: 4800 m²
- Famous attractions: Golden Water Bridge, Towers, Tiananmen Square, etc.
- Cultural relic level: national cultural relics, national key cultural relics protection units
- Construction time: 15th year of Yongle in Ming Dynasty 1417
Beijing Tiananmen Square
Tiananmen Square is located on the central axis of Beijing and is the central square of the Republic. Many national symbols such as the Tiananmen Gate Tower, the Great Hall of the People, the National Museum, and the Monument to the People’s Heroes are located here. Various large-scale celebrations are also held here. The flag-raising ceremony every morning attracts countless tourists to pay their respects.
Main attractions on the square
Tiananmen Square is located in the south of Tiananmen Square. In the center of the square stands the magnificent Monument to the People’s Heroes. On the west side of the square is the Great Hall of the People. On the east side is the National Museum of China. Together with the Qianmen Arrow Tower, these majestic buildings constitute the current Tiananmen Square.
Today’s Tiananmen Square is an important place for the Republic to hold major celebrations, grand rallies and welcome guests for foreign affairs. Since the founding of the People’s Republic of China, Tiananmen Square has experienced many military parades, witnessing the rise and rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
You can watch the flag raising ceremony
On Tiananmen Square, flag-raising (lowering) ceremonies are held daily, which are generally divided into festival flag-raising ceremonies and day-day flag-raising ceremonies. Every year on New Year’s Day, Spring Festival, International Labor Day, National Day and the first day of each month, a festival flag-raising ceremony is carried out.
flag raising time
The flag raising (lowering) ceremony varies with the sunrise time of each day. For specific flag raising time, please check the official website of Tiananmen Square Management Committee.
Tiananmen Square implements a clearing system at night. The entrance is opened about half an hour before the flag is raised, and the clearing begins after the flag is lowered. Tourists can wait near the square half an hour before the flag raising.
Visit by appointment
If you want to visit Tiananmen Square, or watch the flag raising (lowering) ceremony, you need to make separate reservations on the official website of the Tiananmen Management Committee.
BeiJing Tian’AnMen Video
BeiJing Tian’AnMen Tourist Map
BeiJing Tian’AnMen Photo
How To Get To BeiJing Tian’AnMen
from downdown to BeiJing TianAnMen, expense is about 50-100 rmbPractical Chinese:for taxi driver pls take us to BeiJing TianAnMen 请载我们到北京天安门下车
①Take Beijing Metro Line 1, and get off at Tiananmen East Station on buses 1, 2, 52, 82, and 120.
②Take Beijing Metro Line 2, 8, 20, 22, 59, 66, 67, 82, 93, 137, 599, 332, 622, BRT1 and get off at Qianmen Station.BeiJing metro map
Beijing Tiananmen Square Travel Guide
must see tips
- The security check in Tiananmen Square is very strict, and knives and sharp objects may be prohibited from being brought in. In addition, the queue at the security check may be long, and the entry speed will be faster if you do not bring a bag.
- Tourists can make an appointment to visit within the next 10 days through the information in the appointment channel. Elderly people, primary and middle school students, and disabled people who are inconvenient to use smart terminals can have their relatives and friends make an appointment on their behalf, and if it is inconvenient for relatives and friends to make an appointment on their behalf, the staff can also provide on-site assisted appointment service. Tourists who have made reservations for the Chairman Mao Memorial Hall, the National Museum, the Palace Museum, Zhongshan Park, Beijing Working People’s Cultural Palace and other units open to the outside world can only show the valid reservation records to the on-site staff.
- The appointment is divided into 4 periods: “flag raising”, “morning”, “afternoon” and “flag lowering”. The “flag raising” period is from the opening time of Tiananmen Square every day (1 hour before the flag raising) to the end of the flag raising ceremony. The “morning” period is from the end of the daily flag-raising ceremony to 12 o’clock. The “afternoon” period is from 12:00 to the closing time of Tiananmen Square every day. The “flag lowering” period is from 1 hour before the daily flag lowering time to the closing time of Tiananmen Square at night. You can make an appointment once a day at each time slot.