Chaerhan Salt Lake
- Chinese name: 察尔汗盐湖 Chaerhan Salt Lake
- Address: Chaerhan Town, Golmud City, Haixi Mongolian and Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Qinghai Province
- Address: 青海省海西蒙古族藏族自治州格尔木市察尔汗镇
- Opening hours: 08:30-20:00 (04/01-10/08 Monday-Sunday)
- 08:30-19:30 (October 9th – March 31st of the following year, Monday – Sunday)
- Tickets: Free
- Total area: 5856 square kilometers
- The east-west length of the Salt Lake: more than 160 kilometers
- North-South width: 20 to 40 kilometers
- The thickness of the salt layer is about: 2 to 20 meters
Chaerhan Salt Lake
Chaerhan Salt Lake is the largest salt lake in China and one of the most famous inland salt lakes in the world. The Qinghai-Tibet Railway passes through it.
Entering the factory area, you will first see a salt lake museum, which displays the formation history and mining process of the Chaerhan Salt Lake. At the entrance, there is a “salt lake wonderful flower” crystal, which is very interesting.
In the scenic area, there is a road paved with salt extending to the lake – Wanzhang Salt Bridge, the hardness is the same as that of ordinary asphalt roads. When the road is damaged, just pour some brine to restore the road.
There are white salt crystals on both sides of the salt lake, and the lake water is transparent and green. On a sunny day, the surrounding scenery, sky and white clouds are all reflected in the lake, making it an excellent spot for photography.
In principle, only vehicles with access documents are allowed to enter the salt factory. Therefore, when chartering a car in Golmud, it is best to confirm whether it can enter the factory area, otherwise the so-called “ticket” may be charged by the security guard at the door.
Chaerhan Salt Lake Tourist Map
Chaerhan Salt Lake Video
Chaerhan Salt Lake Photo
Chaerhan Salt Lake Car Rental with Driver
Chaerhan Salt Lake Travel Guide
- Tickets are 100 yuan, including the bus, which lasts about half an hour
- After entering, you can take the battery car to the core photo spot (6 minutes). If you don’t sit, you can walk in, and you can arrive in 20 minutes.
- The glass boat is 30 yuan per time, and the aerial photography is 100 yuan. You can take pictures if you like it. It is really beautiful, but it is best to wear red clothes (skirts).
- The maximum height of aerial photography is 150 meters.
- Please be sure to keep clean and hygienic and take care of this beautiful salt lake.
- Transportation: Private cars are not allowed to enter, and there is a unified bus round-trip (100 yuan/person) in the scenic area; 20 yuan/person for the battery car
- Opening hours: April 1st-June 30th 08:30-18:30; July 1st-October 31st 08:00-20:00
- Photography/playing: After taking the bus from the visitor center to the terminal (40 minutes), you can walk or take a battery car to Qiandao Yanhua, which is the most beautiful place in the entire scenic spot. Many internet celebrity check-in points, such as water pianos, beach chairs, dead tree swings, tent hotels (not open), etc.; after that, you can take the bus to the central pier and enjoy the Wanzhang Salt Bridge, which is about 32 kilometers long (unfortunately, because of time Not enough, no chance to appreciate).
- Note: The salt crystal here is not edible salt, but industrial salt, so if you want to go to the lake to take pictures of scenic spots such as water pianos, remember to rent rain boots (10 yuan/person); in addition, do not let brine get into your eyes.