Dujiangyan Irrigation System
- Chinese Name: 都江堰水利工程
- Address: DuJiangYan City,SiChuan China(60 KM from chengdu)四川省都江堰市
- Opening Time:8:00-18:00
- Recommended Visiting Time:half day
- Tickets 80 RMB
- Sightseeing Car 15 RMB/ round trip; 10 RMB/single trip
- offical website: www.djy517.com
- Founded: 256 BC
- Established Dynasty: Qin Dynasty
- Type: water conservancy project
- Type: world natural heritage
- Project composition: Yuzui dike, Feisha weir, Baopingkou
- Virtual Tour: https://720yun.com/t/63djk5wwey0?scene_id=4223073
- Virtual Tour: https://720yun.com/t/719judymzf9?scene_id=22035888
Dujiangyan Irrigation System
The Dujiangyan Irrigation System is a historical engineering marvel of the world and it locates in the west side of Chengdu.
Uniqueness of Dujiangyan Irrigation System
The design is unique in that it does not rely on a large-scale dam or reservoir to store water, but rather uses the natural topography of the river to control the flow.
The system is also environmentally friendly and has had a minimal impact on the surrounding ecosystem.
The irrigation system is constructed during the Warring States period (476-221 BC) by Li Bing and it’s still functional today .
How Dose Dujiangyan Irrigation System Work
The system consists of three main parts
- The Yuzui Diverting Dam
- The Feishayan Spillway
- The Baopingkou Water Inlet
These three parts work together to control the water flow of the Min River, a major tributary of the Yangtze River, and to irrigate the surrounding farmland.
The Yuzui Diverting Dam is the most crucial part of the system, as it diverts a portion of the Min River’s water to the Chengdu Plain, which was previously prone to drought and flooding.
The Feishayan Spillway and Baopingkou Water Inlet work together to prevent flooding and to distribute water to the farmland.
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Video
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Photo
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Tourist Map
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Travel Guide
dujiangyan have 60 KM distance from chengdu, dujiangyan including 3 main scenic spot:
❶ DuJiangyan Panda Base
❷ DuJiangYan Irrigation System
❸ Mount QingCheng
- it’s impossible to cover 3 site in one day. usually you can choose 2 combination.
- dujiangyan panda base ⇆ mount qingcheng parking lot:5 mins/ single trip
- dujiangyan panda base ⇆ dujiangyan irrigation system:40 mins/ single trip
- chengdu ⇆ dujiangyan irrigation system:1.5 hours / single trip
- mount qingcheng parking lot⇆ qingcheng mountain Tickets Box: 20 Mins / single trip
Things to do
1.Explore the scenic area
The Dujiangyan Scenic Area covers a large area and offers visitors many opportunities to hike, picnic, and enjoy the natural beauty
2.See the Yuzui Diverting Dam
This is the most important part of the irrigation system and is a must-see for anyone interested in engineering and technology.
3.Visit the Erwang Temple
This temple was built in honor of Li Bing and his son, who designed and built the irrigation system. It is a beautiful temple and provides an insight into the history and culture of the region.
4.Visit Mt.Qingcheng(UNESCO Heritage)
Mt.Qingcheng is 30min drive from Dujiangyan Irrigation,it’s the Taoist holy mountain and 2 sites can be completed in 1 day.
5.Stay overnight in Dujiangyan
You will see the Dujiangyan Irrigation lit up, explore the old town and get lost in the romantic and relaxing pace.
Dujiangyan Irrigation System Tour Package
1 Day Dujiangyan Irrigation System Tour from Chengdu
- Chengdu hotel pick up and drop off
- dujiangyan irrigation system + mount qingcheng
- local popular restaurant lunch