- Chinese Name: 甘肃嘉峪关
- Address: 嘉峪关关城位于嘉峪关市区西南6公里处
- Tel: 0937-6396110
- Opening Time:08:30-20:00
- Recommended Visiting Time:1-3 H
- Tickets :100-120 CNY
- Virtual Tour: https://720yun.com/t/f70jvpmk5v9?scene_id=19050226
Jiayuguan City, Gansu
Jiayuguan city located is situated at the western end of the Hexi Corridor, which was historically an important route for the Silk Road.
The city is named after its iconic landmark, the Jiayuguan Pass, which was built during the Ming Dynasty and served as a strategic fortification on the western edge of the Great Wall of China.
Jiayuguan is an important transportation hub in northwestern China and is accessible by train, bus, and air.
The city is also a gateway to other important destinations in the region, including Dunhuang, Zhangye, and the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.
Highlights of Jiayuguan City
It is one of the most well-preserved sections of the Great Wall.
2.Overhanging Great Wall
The Overhanging Great Wall is a unique section of the Great Wall that was built on a steep cliff.
The Weijin Tombs are a series of ancient tombs that contain some of the most well-preserved examples of Han Dynasty art.
Jiayuguan (嘉峪关) ,literally means “Excellent Mountain Valley Pass” or “Good Gorge Gateway.”
The name reflects the strategic importance of the city’s location as a gateway between the Hexi Corridor and the vast western region of China.
What to see in Jiayuguan Pass
1.Jiayuguan Great Wall Museum
The museum dedicated to the history and culture of the Great Wall and Jiayuguan. It is equipped with advanced facilities and exhibits various artifacts and scenery related to the Great Wall and Jiayuguan’s history and culture.
2.Jiuyan Spring( Nine-Eye Spring)
The lake is surrounded by lush vegetation and offers beautiful scenery.
It was once the base for ancient military camps and horse breeding, and now the crystal-clear lake offers a serene and tranquil atmosphere.
Jiayuguan Pass is consisted by the inner city & outer city, with three main gate towers and various other buildings such as arrow towers, enemy towers, corner towers, pavilions, and gate towers built on the city walls.
Climbing to the top of the city wall and looking out into the distance, visitors can see the Qilian Mountains stretching out in the far distance and the vast Gobi grassland at their feet, evoking a sense of historical tragedy.
Gansu Jiayuguan Photo
Gansu Jiayuguan Video
Gansu Jiayuguan Tourist Map
Gansu Jiayuguan Travel Guide
Best Time To Go 最佳旅行时间
The best travel time for Jiayuguan is from May to October.
- In the spring (March-May), the green here is later than other places, but the sky is clear and transparent;
- In summer (June-August), the climate is cool and there are discounts during the festival.
- In the autumn (September-November), the East Lake Park in Jiayuguan is enveloped in the colorful autumn colors.赏关城日出日落，凭吊古意两相宜。
- Winter (December-February) Jiayuguan snow-capped, very cold, it is best not to go.
Tips For Visiting JiaYuGuan
- Dressing Guide: Jiayuguan has a large temperature difference between morning and evening. No matter which season is over, please prepare a jacket that matches the season. In the summer, the UV is strong, and the sunscreen and sunglasses are prepared. In the spring and autumn, the wind is heavy. Please prepare the sand-proof equipment. If it is winter, cold protection is the number one priority.
- Consumption level: The main consumption of Jiayuguan lies in the transportation expenses in the city. If it is a self-guided tour, visit the three main attractions of Guancheng, Cantilever Great Wall and the First Pier of the Great Wall. The cost is 120 yuan, and the food consumption is about 20-50 yuan/person/meal. The accommodation cost is around 150 yuan. Once you play it, you need 500-800 yuan per person to remove the big traffic.
Gansu Jiayuguan Car Rental with Driver
The First Fortress of the Great Wall
The First Fortress of the Great Wall, located in the south of the JIayuguan pass, was responsible for transmitting military information from the south of the pass and the various passes of the Qilian Mountains.
What to expect
1.Spectacular natural scenery
Looking to the south, the mountain peaks remain snow-white all year round, set against a blue sky, creating a picturesque view. It is said that “distant mountains are harmonized with the wet clouds, while the wind dances through the sparse forest.”
Visitor can participate Tao River zipline, cross the perilous suspension bridge
3.Explore the Taolai river gorge
There is a dangerous and steep river called Toudai River which gives visitors a feeling of being in a deep and narrow gorge.