Tibet Yamdrok Lake
- Chinese Name: 羊卓雍错
- Address: 70km from east-south lhasa, Tibet, China
- Lake shoreline:250KM
- Coordinates28°56′N 90°41′E
- Max. width (south-north)72 kilometers
- Recommend tour time1 hour
- Average depth:20-60 meters
- Surface area: 638 km2 (246 sq mi)
- Altitude: 4,441m
- Admission Fee Peak Season, May to October: 40 RMB/Per ,Off Season, November to Next April 40 RMB/Per
Tibet Yamdrok Lake Video
Tibet Yamdrok Tso
The lake, its islands, and the surrounding area are closely associated with Padmasambhava,
the Second Buddha, who brought Buddhism to Tibet in 8th century AD.The lake is home to the famous Samding Monastery which is on a peninsula jutting into the lake.
This monastery is the only Tibetan monastery to be headed by a female re-incarnation. Since it is not a nunnery, its female abbot heads a community of about thirty monks and nuns.
Samding Monastery is where Samding Dorje Phagmo, the most important female incarnate Lama in Tibet, stayed and presided, and stands to the south of Lake Yamdrok Yumtso.Today, both pilgrims and tourists can be seen walking along the lake’s perimeter. One of the lake’s islands contains an old fort or castle called Pede Dzong
Yamdrok Lake tour
Yamdrok Lake (also known as Yamdrok Yumtso
or Yamzho Yumco; Tibetan: ཡར་འབྲོག་གཡུ་མཚོ་, is a freshwater lake in Tibet, it is one of the three largest sacred lakes in Tibet (28°56′N 90°41′E). It is over 72 km (45 mi) long. The lake is surrounded by many snow-capped mountains and is fed by numerous small streams. The lake has an outlet stream at its far western end.
Around 90 km to the west of the lake lies the Tibetan town of Gyantse and Lhasa is a hundred km to the northeast. According to local mythology, Yamdok Yumtso lake is the transformation of a goddess.
The Yamdrok Hydropower Station was completed and dedicated in 1996 near the small village of Baidi at the lake’s western end. This power station is the largest in Tibet.
The others such lakes are Lhamo La-tso, Namtso and Manasarovar. The lake is revered as a talisman and is said to be part of the life-spirit of Tibet. The largest lake in southern Tibet, it is said that if its waters dry, Tibet will no longer be habitable.
- Yamdrok Lake lies at 4,441 meters of altitude, if you aren’t used to it, you’ll feel bloody tired. Even walking was difficult, let’s forget about climbing the rock on the right side of the lake
- Photo with yak and tibetan mastiff charge 20 rmb
- Nearby south of lake is famous Samding Monastery.keeping moving forward is Karuola glacier,the total; area is 9.4 sq km
- don’t move the stone heap.which is use to make a holly wish by tibetanese
- bring more food in advance,because there is almost no food shop;eco-friendly for food package